At stake in this referendum:
- The independence from Spain of the autonomous community of Catalonia.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: King FELIPE VI
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez*
- Assembly: Spain has a bicameral The General Courts (Las Cortes Generales) consisting of the Senate (Senado) with 255 seats and the Congress of Deputies (Congreso de los Diputados) with 350 seats.**
* The current President of the Catalan regional government is Quim TORRA.
** Catalonia has a regional government, the Parliament of Catalonia (Parlament de Catalunya) with 135 seats.
About the referendum:
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 7,379,900 (2017 est.)
- Registered Voters: 5,257,960 (2012)
- Female Population: 3,764,500 (2017 est.)
- Is Catalonia a Signatory to CEDAW: Yes – via Spain (17 July 1980)
- Has Catalonia Ratified CEDAW: Yes – via Spain (5 January 1984)
- Gender Quota:
- Female Candidates in this Election: Yes
- Number of Female Legislators: N/A
- Human Development Index (HDI) Position: 26 (Spain 2018)
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low (Spain 2014)
- Is Catalonia a Signatory to CRPD: Yes – via Spain (30 March 2007)
- Has Catalonia Ratified CRPD: Yes – via Spain (3 December 2007)
- Population with a Disability: 1,106,985 (2017 est.)