At stake in this election:
- The office of President of the Republic of Albania
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President of the Republic Bamir TOPI
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Sali BERISHA **
- Assembly: Albania has a unicameral People's Assembly (Kuvendi Popullor) with 140 seats.
** The Prime Minister is chosen by the leading party in parliament and is approved by presidential decree.
Description of electoral system:
- The President of the Republic is elected by the People's Assembly to serve a 5-year term.
- In the People's Assembly (Kuvendi Popullor), 100 members are elected by direct popular vote to serve 4-year terms and 40 members are elected by proportional representation to serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Bamir TOPI
- Party: Democratic Party
- Fatos NANO
- Party: Socialist Party
- Neritan CEKA
- Party: Democratic Alliance Party (AD)
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 3,600,523 (July 2007 est.)
- Registered Voters: 0 ( 2007 est.)