At stake in this election:
- The office of President of India
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President A.P.J. Abdul KALAM *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Manmohan SINGH
- Assembly: India has a bicameral Parliament (Sansad) consisting of the Council of States (Rajya Sabha) with 250 seats and the People's Assembly (Lok Sabha) with 545 seats.
* The electoral college consists of elected members of both houses of Parliament and the legislatures of the states.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by an electoral college to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Council of States (Rajya Sabha), 12 members are appointed by the president to serve 6-year terms and 250 members are selected by regional legislatures to serve 6-year terms. In the People's Assembly (Lok Sabha), 543 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms and 2 members are appointed by the president.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Pratibha PATIL
- Party: United Progressive Alliance (UPA)
- Bhairon Singh SHEKHAWAT
- Party: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 1,179,685,631 (2007)
- Registered Voters: N/A
· Female Population: 568,083,055 (2007)
· Is India a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (30 July 1980)
· Has India ratified CEDAW: Yes (9 July 1993)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 45 (following the 2004 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 130 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: High (2014)
· Is India a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has India ratified CRPD: Yes (1 October 2007)
· Population with a disability: 176,952,844 (est.)