At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Botswana
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Festus G. MOGAE *
- Head of Government: President Festus G. MOGAE
- Assembly: Botswana has a bicameral Parliament consisting of the House of Chiefs (Ntlo ya Dikgosi) with 15 seats and the National Assembly with 63 seats.
* Elected by the legislature.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by indirect vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the House of Chiefs (Ntlo ya Dikgosi), 8 members are ex officio , 4 members are elected in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms and 3 members are elected in multi-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms*. In the National Assembly, 57 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms, 4 members are appointed by members to serve 5-year terms and 2 members are ex officio .**
* The House of Chiefs consists of the chiefs of the eight principal tribes, four sub-chiefs chosen each from a single-member constituency by the eight chiefs, and three members elected at-large from one district by the other twelve members.
** Four members are appointed by the majority party. The President and Attorney General are members ex officio.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Festus MOGAE
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 1,990,876 (July 2009 est.)
- Registered Voters: N/A
· Female Population: 920,018 (2004)
· Is Botswana a signatory to CEDAW: N/A
· Has Botswana ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (13 August 1996)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 6 (9.52%) (2015)
· Human Development Index Position: 106 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Botswana a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Botswana ratified CRPD: No
· Population with a disability: 275,362 (est.)