At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Venezuela
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Hugo CHAVEZ Frias *
- Head of Government: President Hugo CHAVEZ Frias
- Assembly: Venezuela has a unicameral National Assembly (Asamblea Nacional) with 167 seats.
* In 2009, a national referendum approved the elimination of term limits on all elected officials, including the presidency.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by plurality vote to serve a 6-year term.
- In the National Assembly (Asamblea Nacional), 65 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms, 68 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms, 31 members are elected by plurality vote in multi-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms and 3 members are reserved for indigenous peoples to serve 5-year terms.***
*** Parties may nominate candidates for both the nominal and ordinal tiers.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Hugo Rafael CHAVEZ Frias
Party: United Socialist Party of Venezuela / Partido Socialista Unido de Venezuela (PSUV)
- Henrique CAPRILES Radonski
Party: Justice First / Primero Justicia (PJ)
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 28,047,938 (July 2011 est)
- Registered Voters: 18,733,198 (October 2012 )