At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Dominican Republic
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Leonel FERNANDEZ Reyna
- Head of Government: President Leonel FERNANDEZ Reyna
- Assembly: Dominican Republic has a bicameral National Congress (Congreso Nacional) consisting of the Senate (Senado) with 32 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Camara de Diputados) with 178 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Senate (Senado) 32 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms*. In the Chamber of Deputies (Camara de Diputados) 178 members are elected through an open-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.**
* The term of office will be six years from 2010-2016. After that, it will return to four years.
** Seats are apportioned to 30 multi-member districts (29 provinces and the federal district) in proportion to population. No district magnitude may be less than 2. The term of office will be six years from 2010-2016. After that, it will return to four years.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Rafael Hipólito MEJIA Domínguez
Party: Dominican Revolutionary Party / Partido Revolucionario Dominicano (PRD)
- Danilo MEDINA Sánchez
Party: Dominican Liberation Party / Partido de la Liberación Dominicana (PLD)
- Guillermo MORENO Garcia
Party: Country Alliance / Alianza Pais (ALPAIS)
- Eduardo ESTRELLA
Party: Dominicans for Change / Dominicanos por el Cambio (DXC)
- Julián SERULLE
Party: Broad Front / Frente Amplio (FRENTE)
- Max PUIG
Party: Alliance for Democracy / Alianza por la Democracia (APD)
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 10,088,598 (July 2012 est)
- Registered Voters: 6,502,968 (May 2012 )