At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Russia
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Dmitry Anatolyevich MEDVEDEV
- Head of Government: Premier Vladimir Vladimirovich PUTIN
- Assembly: Russia has a bicameral Federal Assembly (Federalnoye Sobraniye) consisting of the Federation Council (Sovet Federatsii) with 178 seats and the State Duma (Gosudarstvennaya Duma) with 450 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 6-year term.
- The Premier is appointed by the president.
- In the Federation Council (Sovet Federatsii) 178 members are appointed by regional governing councils*. In the State Duma (Gosudarstvennaya Duma) 450 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.**
* There are 89 constituencies with a district magnitude of two. Terms to the Federation Council are not nationally fixed, Terms instead are determined according to the regional bodies they represent.
** Seats are allocated using the Hare quota. There is one, nationwide district and a minimum threshold of 7%.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Vladimir Vladimirovich PUTIN
Party: United Russia / Еди́ная Росси́я, Yedínaya Rossíya
- Gennady Andreyevich ZYUGANOV
Party: Communist Party of the Russian Federation / Коммунистическая партия Российской Федерации Kommunisticheskaya Partiya Rossiyskoy Federatsii (КПРФ; KPRF)
- Sergey Mikhailovich MIRONOV
Party: A Just Russia / Справедливая Россия, Spravedlivaya Rossiya (CP, SR)
- Mikhail Dmitrievitch PROKHOROV
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 138,739,892 (July 2011 est.)
- Registered Voters: 109,860,331 (March 2012 )