At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Russia
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Dmitry Anatolyevich MEDVEDEV
- Head of Government: Premier Vladimir Vladimirovich PUTIN
- Assembly: Russia has a bicameral Federal Assembly (Federalnoye Sobraniye) consisting of the Federation Council (Sovet Federatsii) with 178 seats and the State Duma (Gosudarstvennaya Duma) with 450 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 6-year term.
- The Premier is appointed by the president.
- In the Federation Council (Sovet Federatsii) 178 members are appointed by regional governing councils*. In the State Duma (Gosudarstvennaya Duma) 450 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.**
* There are 89 constituencies with a district magnitude of two. Terms to the Federation Council are not nationally fixed, Terms instead are determined according to the regional bodies they represent.
** Seats are allocated using the Hare quota. There is one, nationwide district and a minimum threshold of 7%.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Vladimir Vladimirovich PUTIN
- Gennady Andreyevich ZYUGANOV
- Sergey Mikhailovich MIRONOV
- Mikhail Dmitrievitch PROKHOROV
- Independent(s): N/A
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 143,201,676 (2012)
- Registered Voters: 109,860,331 (March 2012)
· Female Population: 76,764,552 (2012)
· Is Russia a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Russia ratified CEDAW: Yes (23 January 1981)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 61 (State Duma) following the 2011 elections
· Human Development Index Position: 50
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Russia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (24 September 2008)
· Has Russia ratified CRPD: Yes (25 September 2012)
· Population with a disability: 21,480,251 (est.)