At stake in this election:
- 15 seats in the House of Assembly
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Queen ELIZABETH II *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Ralph E. GONSALVES
- Assembly: Saint Vincent and the Grenadines has a unicameral House of Assembly with 21 seats.
* Represented by Governor General Sir Fredrick Nathaniel BALLANTYNE
Description of electoral system:
- The Queen is hereditary.
- Prime Minister is appointed by the governor-general.
- In the House of Assembly, 15 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms and 6 members are appointed by the governor-general to serve 5-year terms.***
*** For the six appointed senators, four are chosen to represent the government and two to represent the opposition.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Unity Labor Party (ULP)
Leader: Ralph GONSALVES
Seats won in last election: 8
- Party: New Democratic Party (NDP)
Leader: Arnhim EUSTACE
Seats won in last election: 7
- Party: Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Green Party
Leader: Ivan O'NEAL
Seats won in last election: 0
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 104,217 (July 2010 est.)
- Registered Voters: 101,067 (December 2010 )