At stake in this Referendum:
- New European Union Constitution
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Queen BEATRIX
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Jan Peter BALKENENDE
- Assembly: Netherlands has a bicameral States General (Staten Generaal) consisting of the First Chamber (Eerste Kamer) with 75 seats and the Second Chamber (Tweede Kamer) with 150 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Referendum to approve the new European Union Constitution. "Are you for or against approval by the Netherlands of the treaty establishing a constitution for Europe?"
"Bent U voor of tegen instemming door Nederland met het verdrag tot vaststelling van een grondwet voor Europa?"
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 16,319,868 (2005)
- Registered Voters: 12,172,740 (2005)
· Female Population: 8,244,703 (2005)
· Is Netherlands a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Netherlands ratified CEDAW: Yes (23 July 1991)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 51 (Second Chamber) following the 2002 elections; 20 (First Chamber) following the 1999 elections
· Human Development Index Position: 5 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Netherlands a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Netherlands ratified CRPD: Yes (14 June 2016)
· Population with a disability: 2,422,339 (est.)