At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Ecuador
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Gustavo NOBOA Bejarano *
- Head of Government: President Gustavo NOBOA Bejarano
- Assembly: Ecuador has a unicameral National Congress (Congreso Nacional) with 100 seats.
* President NOBOA Bejarano replaced Jamil MAHAUD following a coup in January 2000.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote to serve a 4-year term.
- In the National Congress (Congreso Nacional) 100 members are appointed through a party-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.***
*** Each of the country's 22 provinces returns a minimum of two deputies plus one additional seat for every 200,000 inhabitants.
Main Candidates in the First Round of the Presidential race:
- Lucio Edwin GUTIERREZ Borbua*
Party: Popular Socialist Party/Multinational Pachakutik United Movement (SPS/MUPP-NP)
- Alvaro Fernando NOBOA Ponton*
Party: New Party for National Action (PRIAN)
- Leon ROLDOS Aguilera
Party: Socialist Party (PS)
- Rodrigo Borja CEVALLOS
Party: Democratic Left (ID)
- Antonio Xavier NEIRA Menendez
Party: Social Christian Party (PSC)
- Jacobo BUCARAM Ortiz
Party: Ecuadorian Rolosist Party (PRE)
- Jacinto VELAZQUEZ Herrera
Party: Movimiento Transformación Social Independiente (TSI)
- Ivonne Leyla Juez ABUCHAKRA
Party: Ecuadorian Liberal Radical Party (PLRE)
- Cesar Augosto Alarcon COSTTA
Party: Liberal Party (PL)
- Osvaldo HURTADO Larrea
Party: Patriotic Solidarity Movement (MPS)
- Carlos Antonio VARGAS Guatatuca
Party: Indigeneous Movement Amauta Jatari (MIAJ)
* GUTIERREZ and NOBOA advanced to the second election round.
Last Presidential election:
- Last presidential election held: July 12, 1998 (second round). Jamil MAHUAD was elected with 51.3% of votes over Alvaro Fernando Noboa Pontón with 48.7 % of the votes.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 13,183,978 (July 2001 est.)
- Registered Voters: 8,154,125 ( 2002 )