At stake in this election:
- 24 seats in the Senate (Senado de la Nación)
- 130 seats in the Chamber of Representatives (Cámara de Diputados)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Nestor KIRCHNER *
- Head of Government: President Nestor KIRCHNER
- Assembly: Argentina has a bicameral National Congress (Congreso Nacional) consisting of the Senate (Senado de la Nación) with 72 seats and the Chamber of Representatives (Cámara de Diputados) with 257 seats.
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Senate (Senado de la Nación) 72 members are elected by direct vote to serve 6-year terms*. In the Chamber of Representatives (Cámara de Diputados) 257 members are elected by direct vote to serve 4-year terms.**
* One-third of the Senate is renewable every two years.
** One-half of the Chamber of Deputies is renewable every two years.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Front for Victory (FV) / Frente para la Victoria
- Leader: Cristina Fernandez de KIRCHNER
- Party: Justicialist Party (PJ) / Partido Justicialista
- Leader: Eduardo CAMANO
- Party: Justicialist Front (FJ) / Frente Justicialista
- Leader: N/A
- Party: Alternative for an Egalitarian Republic (ARI) / Alternativa por una Republica de Igualges
- Leader: Elisa CARRIO
- Party: Radical Civic Union (UCR)
- Leader: Gerardo MORALES
- Party: Socialist Party (PS)
- Leader: Ruben GIUSTINIANI
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 40,301,927 (July 2007 est.)
- Registered Voters: 26,098,546 (October 2005 )
· Female Population: 20,418,920 (2007)
· Is Argentina a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Argentina ratified CEDAW: Yes (15 July 1985)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 52 (Chamber of Deputies) ;10 (Senate)
· Human Development Index Position: 40 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low (2014)
· Is Argentina a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Argentina ratified CRPD: Yes (2 September 2008)
· Population with a disability: 6,045,289 (est.)