At stake in this election:
- 9 seats in the Senate
- 16 seats in the House of Delegates
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Tommy Esang REMENGESAU, Jr
- Head of Government: President Tommy Esang REMENGESAU, Jr
- Assembly: Palau has a bicameral Parliament (Olbiil Era Kelulau) consisting of the Senate with 9 seats and the House of Delegates with 16 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Senate 9 members are elected by popular vote on a population basis. In the House of Delegates 16 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Independent Candidates
Last Legislative election:
- The last legislative elections were held on November 7, 2000.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 19,805 (2004)
- Registered Voters: 12,922 (November 2004 )
· Female Population:
· Is Palau a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (20 September 2011)
· Has Palau ratified CEDAW: No
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 0
· Human Development Index Position: 60 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Palau a signatory to CRPD: Yes (20 September 2011)
· Has Palau ratified CRPD: Yes (11 June 2013)
· Population with a disability: 2,970 (est.)