At stake in this Referendum:
- Approval of early parliamentary elections.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Rudolf SCHUSTER
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Mikulas DZURINDA
- Assembly: Slovakia has a unicameral National Council of the Slovak Republic (Narodna Rada Slovenskej Republiky) with 150 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Referendum on early parliamentary elections This referendum asks voters to approve the passage of a proposal that would give a non-binding recommendation for dissolution of parliament and call for a new round of parliamentary elections two years prior to the scheduled date elections of September 2002.
- In order for the referendum to be approved, both participation of more than 50% of registered voters and a majority of overall votes cast are required.
If both of the above conditions are met, a two-thirds majority vote in parliament is then required to enact the referendum.*
* The referendum was declared invalid due to insufficient voter turnout.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 5,388,720 (2000)
- Registered Voters: 4,085,172 (2000)
· Female Population: 2,771,089 (2000)
· Is Slovakia a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Slovakia ratified CEDAW: Yes, succession (28 May 1993)
· Gender Quota: No (there are political parties that have voluntary gender quotas)
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 19 (following the 1998 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 35 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Slovakia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (26 September 2007)
· Has Slovakia ratified CRPD: Yes (26 May 2010)
· Population with a disability: 808,308 (est.)