At stake in this Referendum:
- Adoption of the euro to replace the Krone as Denmark's unit of currency.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Queen MARGRETHE II
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Poul Nyrup RASMUSSEN
- Assembly: Denmark has a unicameral Parliament (Folketing) with 179 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Referendum on whether to adopt the Euro:
- This referendum asked voters if they agree with the adoption of the Euro to replace the Krone as Denmark's unit of currency.
- A majority of overall votes cast are required for the referendum to be adopted.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 5,339,616 (2000)
- Registered Voters: 3,999,706 (2000)
· Female Population: 2,696,506 (2000)
· Is Denmark a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Denmark ratified CEDAW: Yes (21 April 1983)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 67 (following the 1998 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 4 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Denmark a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Denmark ratified CRPD: Yes (24 July 2009)
· Population with a disability: 800,942 (est.)