At stake in this Referendum:
- -Define the eligibility requirements for presidential candidates, stating that they must be Ivorian by origin, of an Ivorian mother or father, and must never have used another nationality;
-Lower the voting age from 21 to 18;
-Reduce the presidential term from seven to five years; Introduce a single ballot paper rather than separate ballot papers for the referendum and for each candidate; and Establish an independent electoral commission.
General Robert GUEI appointed a 16-member special commission to oversee the organization of the elections. The commission is known as COSUR (Commission de supervision de l'organisation du referendum 2000).
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: General Robert GUEI
- Head of Government: General Robert GUEI
- Assembly: Côte d'Ivoire has a unicameral National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale) with 225 seats.
- A majority of the country's voters are required for the referendum to be enacted.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 16,517,948 (2000)
- Registered Voters: 5,517,613 (2000)
· Female Population: 7,984,470 (2000)
· Is Cote d'Ivoire a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Cote d'Ivoire ratified CEDAW: Yes (18 December 1995)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 19 (following 2000 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 172 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: High (2014)
· Is Cote d'Ivoire a signatory to CRPD: Yes (7 June 2007)
· Has Cote d'Ivoire ratified CRPD: Yes (10 January 2014)
· Population with a disability: 2,477,692 (est.)