At stake in this Referendum:
- Referendum on system of government.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Lt. Gen. Yoweri Kaguta MUSEVENI *
- Head of Government: President Lt. Gen. Yoweri Kaguta MUSEVENI
- Assembly: Uganda has a unicameral National Assembly with 276 seats.
* The president is both chief of state and head of government.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Question on what political system to adopt This referendum asked voters: "Which political system do you wish to adopt, Movement or Multiparty?"
- A majority of overall votes cast were required for a new political system to be adopted.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 22,804,973 (July 1999 est.)
- Registered Voters: N/A
· Female Population: 11,948,808 (2000)
· Is Uganda a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (30 July 1980)
· Has Uganda ratified CEDAW: Yes (22 July 1985)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 50 (following the 1996 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 163 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Uganda a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Uganda ratified CRPD: Yes (25 September 2008)
· Population with a disability: 3,420,745 (est.)