At stake in this Referendum:
- This referendum consists questions on four separate issues:
-To reduce the total number of seats in the Supreme Council from 450 to 300.
-To divide the unicameral Supreme Council into two separate chambers, one of nationally elected officials and the other made up of regional officials appointed by the president.
-To outlaw legal immunity for deputies to the Supreme Council.
-To give the president the power to disband parliament if it is unable to form a working parliamentary majority within a month or fails to pass a budget within three months.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Leonid D. KUCHMA
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Viktor YUSHCHENKO
- Assembly: Ukraine has a unicameral Supreme Council (Verkhovna Rada) with 450 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- QUESTION ONE: To reduce the total number of seats in the Supreme Council from 450 to 300
- QUESTION TWO: To divide the unicameral Supreme Council into two separate chambers, one of nationally elected officials and the other made up of regional officials appointed by the president.
- QUESTION THREE: To outlaw legal immunity for deputies.
- QUESTION FOUR: To give President Kuchma the power to disband parliament if it is unable to come to consensus within a month or pass a budget within three months.
- Each of the four questions needs a simple majority of votes to be approved.
-At least 50% of all registered voters must participate in the referendum for it to be declared valid.
-If approved, the proposals must then be ratified by the Supreme Council in order to be enacted.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 49,175,848 (2000)
- Registered Voters: 38,361,935 (July 1999)
· Female Population: 26,289,780 (2000)
· Is Ukraine a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Ukraine ratified CEDAW: Yes (12 March 1981)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 35 (following the 1998 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 81 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Ukraine a signatory to CRPD: Yes (24 September 2008)
· Has Ukraine ratified CRPD: Yes (4 February 2010)
· Population with a disability: 7,471,676 (est.)