At stake in this election:
- 34 seats in the Senate
- 435 seats in the House of Representatives
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President William Jefferson CLINTON *
- Head of Government: President William Jefferson CLINTON
- Assembly: United States has a bicameral Congress consisting of the Senate with 100 seats and the House of Representatives with 435 seats.
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by an electoral college to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Senate 100 members are elected by simple majority vote to serve 6-year terms*. In the House of Representatives 435 members are elected by simple majority vote to serve 6-year terms.**
* One-third of Senate seats are up for elections every two years.
** There are also five non-voting members to the House, representing American Samoa, the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Republican Party
- Leader: Trent LOTT, Dennis HASTERT
- Seats won in this Senate election: 16
- Seats won in last Senate election: 20
- Seats won in this House of Representatives election: 223
- Seats won in last House of Representatives election: 227
- Party: Democratic Party
- Leader: Thomas DASCHLE, Richard GEPHARDT
- Seats won in this Senate election: 18
- Seats won in last Senate election: 13
- Seats won in this House of Representatives election: 211
- Seats won in last House of Representatives election: 207
Last Legislative election:
- Legislative elections last held: November 5, 1996.
Seats decided in the last election to the Senate: 33
Seats decided in the last election to the House of Representatives: 435
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 270,862,220 (October 1998 est. )
- Registered Voters: 146,211,960 ( 1996 - Figure excludes the states of North Dakota and Wisconsin, which do not require voter registration.)
· Female Population: 139,919,288 (1998)
· Is United States a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has United States ratified CEDAW: No
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 9 (Senate); 58 (House) following the 1998 elections
· Human Development Index Position: 8 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is United States a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 July 2009)
· Has United States ratified CRPD: No
· Population with a disability: 40,629,333 (est.)