At stake in this Referendum:
- National Action Charter of Bahrain
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: King HAMAD bin Isa al-Khalifa
- Head of Government: Prime Minister KHALIFA bin Salman al-Khalifa
- Assembly: Bahrain has a bicameral Parliament consisting of the Shura Council with 40 seats and the House of Deputies with 40 seats.
Main provisions in the of the Referendum:
- To establish a democratically elected chamber in parliament and to establish an independent judiciary.
- A majority of overall votes cast are required for the referendum to pass.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 634,137 (July 2001 )
- Registered Voters: 217,579 ( 2001 )
· Female Population: 294,925 (2001)
· Is Bahrain a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Bahrain ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (18 June 2002)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: N/A
· Human Development Index Position: 45 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Bahrain a signatory to CRPD: Yes (25 June 2007)
· Has Bahrain ratified CRPD: Yes (22 September 2011)
· Population with a disability: 95,120 (est.)