At stake in this Referendum:
- Voters will be asked to vote on a constitutional provision which would reduce the number of members in the Supreme Council (Umaghiesi Sabcho) from 235 to 150 seats.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Mikhail SAAKASHVILI
- Head of Government: President Mikhail SAAKASHVILI
- Assembly: Georgia has a unicameral Supreme Council (Umaghiesi Sabcho) with 235 seats. ***
*** Of the 235 members, 75 members are elected in single member constituencies, 10 members represent displaced persons from the separatist region of Abkhazia, and 150 are elected by a proportional representation party-list system.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Constitutional Referendum on reducing the number of Supreme Council seats.
- For the referendum to be valid at least 50% of the registered voters must participate and the provision mus
If approved the first parliament with 150 seats will be voted on in October 2007 to security a majority "Yes" vote.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 4,301,000 (2003)
- Registered Voters: 3,178,593 (2003)
· Female Population: 2,271,181 (2003)
· Is Georgia a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Georgia ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (26 October 1994)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 17 (following the 1999 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 76 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Georgia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (10 July 2009)
· Has Georgia ratified CRPD: Yes (13 March 2014)
· Population with a disability: 645,150 (est.)