At stake in this election:
- 83 seats in the Consultative Council (Majlis al-Shura)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Sultan and Prime Minister QABOOS bin Said al-Said
- Head of Government: Sultan and Prime Minister QABOOS bin Said al-Said
- Assembly: Oman has a bicameral Parliament (Majlis Oman) consisting of the State Council (Majlis al-Dawla) with 48 seats and the Consultative Council (Majlis al-Shura) with 83 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The Sultan and Prime Minister is hereditary head of state.
- In the State Council (Majlis al-Dawla) 59 members are appointed by the monarch*. In the Consultative Council (Majlis al-Shura) 83 members are elected by plurality vote to serve 4-year terms.**
* Members of the Majlis al-Dawla are appointed by the monarch and have advisory powers only.
** Members of the Majlis al-Shura are elected from 59 multi-member and single-member electoral districts. Districts with a population over 30,000 have two representatives.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Independent(s): Independents
Seats won in last Consultative Council election: 0
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 3,418,085 (July 2010 Estimate includes 577,293 non-nationals)
- Registered Voters: 518,000 (October 2011 est.)
· Female Population: 1,238,949 (2011)
· Is Oman a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Oman ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (7 February 2006)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 15 (State Council); 1 (Consultative Council) following the 2011 elections
· Human Development Index Position: 52 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Oman a signatory to CRPD: Yes (17 March 2008)
· Has Oman ratified CRPD: Yes (6 January 2009)
· Population with a disability: 512,712 (est.)