At stake in this Referendum:
- Referendum on accepting the EU Treaty of Accession
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Vaclav KLAUS
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Vladimir SPIDLA
- Assembly: Czech Republic has a bicameral Parliament (Parlament) consisting of the Senate (Senat) with 81 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Poslanecka Snemovna) with 200 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Referendum on accepting the EU Treaty of Accession The referendum asked voters to decide whether to accept or reject the EU Treaty of Accession, allowing the Czech Republic to seek membership within the European Union (EU).
- A majority of valid votes cast must be in favor of the provision for it to pass.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 10,193,998 (2003)
- Registered Voters: 8,262,484 (June 2002 )
· Female Population: 5,235,621 (2003)
· Is Czech Republic a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Czech Republic ratified CEDAW: Yes, succession (22 February 1993)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 34 (Chamber of Deputies); 10 (Senate) (following the 2002 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 28 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low (2014)
· Is Czech Republic a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Czech Republic ratified CRPD: Yes (28 September 2009)
· Population with a disability: 1,529,099 (est.)