At stake in this Referendum:
- The referendum will ask voters to decide whether to accept or reject the EU Treaty of Accession, which will allow Slovakia to seek membership within the European Union (EU).
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Rudolf SCHUSTER
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Mikulas DZURINDA
- Assembly: Slovakia has a unicameral National Council of the Slovak Republic (Narodna Rada Slovenskej Republiky) with 150 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- The referendum will ask voters to decide whether to approve or disapprove Slovakia's membership in the European Union. The referendum will ask voters the following question: The referendum will ask voters the following question: “Do you agree that Slovakia should become a member country of the European Union?
Population and registered voters:
- Population: 5,373,374 (2003)
- Registered Voters: 4,174,097 (2002)
· Female Population: 2,766,184 (2003)
· Is Slovakia a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Slovakia ratified CEDAW: Yes, succession (28 May 1993)
· Gender Quota: No (there are political parties that have voluntary gender quotas)
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 19 (following the 1998 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 35 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Slovakia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (26 September 2007)
· Has Slovakia ratified CRPD: Yes (26 May 2010)
· Population with a disability: 809,403 (est.)