At stake in this Referendum:
- The referendum will ask voters to decide whether to approve or disapprove Lithuania's membership in the European Union.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Rolandas PAKSAS
- Head of Government: Premier Algirdas Mykolas BRAZAUSKAS
- Assembly: Lithuania has a unicameral Parliament (Seimas) with 141 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- European Union Referendum Voters are asked to vote on the following question in the referendum: 'I am for Lithuania's membership of the European Union.'
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 3,415,213 (2003)
- Registered Voters: 2,631,252 (2003)
· Female Population: 1,821,993 (2003)
· Is Lithuania a signatory to CEDAW: N/A
· Has Lithuania ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (18 January 1994)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 15 (following the 2000 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 37 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Lithuania a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Lithuania ratified CRPD: Yes (18 August 2010)
· Population with a disability: 512,281 (est.)