At stake in this election:
- 36 seats in the House of Assembly
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Queen ELIZABETH II *
- Head of Government: Premier Ewart BROWN
- Assembly: Bermuda has a bicameral Parliament consisting of the Senate with 11 seats and the House of Assembly with 36 seats.
* The Queen is represented by Governor Sir Richard GOZNEY.
Description of electoral system:
- The Queen is N/A N/A.
- In the Senate 11 members are appointed to serve 5-year terms*. In the House of Assembly 36 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms.
* Members of the Senate are appointed by the governor, the premier and members of the opposition parties.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: United Bermuda Party (UBP)
- Leader: Michael DUNKLEY
- Seats won in this House of Assembly election: 14
- Seats won in last House of Assembly election: 14
- Party: Progressive Labour Party (PLP)
- Leader: Ewart BROWN
- Seats won in this House of Assembly election: 22
- Seats won in last House of Assembly election: 22
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 66,536 (July 2008 est.)
- Registered Voters: 42,337 (November 2007 )