At stake in this election:
- 500 seats in the Chamber of Deputies (Camara de Diputados)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Vicente FOX Quesada *
- Head of Government: President Vicente FOX Quesada
- Assembly: Mexico has a bicameral National Congress (Congreso de la Union) consisting of the Senate (Camara de Senadores) with 128 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Camara de Diputados) with 500 seats.
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by plurality vote to serve a 6-year term.
- In the Senate (Camara de Senadores), 96 members are elected by plurality vote in multi-member constituencies to serve 6-year terms and 32 members are elected through a party-list proportional representation system to serve 6-year terms*. In the Chamber of Deputies (Camara de Diputados), 300 members are elected by simple majority vote in single-member constituencies to serve 3-year terms and 200 members are elected through a party-list proportional representation system to serve 3-year terms.
* The 96 senators are elected in 32 three-seat districts.
Main Parties in this Election:
- Social Democratic and Peasant Alternative/Alternativa Socialdemocrata y Campesina
- National Action Party/Partido Accion Nacional
- New Alliance Party/Partido Nueva Alianza
- Party of the Democratic Revolution/Partido de la Revolucion Democratica
- Institutional Revolutionary Party/Partido Revolucionario Institucional
Population and Registered Voters:
- Population: 111,382,857 (2006)
- Registered voters: 71,351,585 (2006)
· Female Population: 56,025,292 (2006)
· Is Mexico a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Mexico ratified CEDAW: Yes (23 March 1981)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 113 (Chamber of Deputies); 22 (Senate) (following the 2006 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 74 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Mexico a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Mexico ratified CRPD: Yes (17 December 2007)
· Population with a disability: 16,707,428 (est.)