At Stake in this Election:
- 20 seats of the Federal National Council (Majlis al-Ittihad al-Watani).
- Chief of State: President Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan (since November 2004)
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum (since January 2006)
- Assembly: The United Arab Emirates has a uncimaral Majlis al-Ittihad al-Watani (Federal National Council) consisting of 40 seats.
- In the Federal National Council, 20 members are appointed by the rulers of the 7 constituent states and 20 are indirectly elected by an electoral college whose members are selected by each emirate ruler proportional to its Federal National Council membership. Members serve 4-year terms.
- The composition of the Council is distributed as follows:
- 8 seats for the Emirate of Abu Dhabi.
- 8 seats for the Emirate of Dubai.
- 6 seats for the Emirate of Sharjah.
- 6 seats for the Emirate of Ras Al Khaimah.
- 4 seats for the Emirate of Ajman.
- 4 seats for the Emirate and Fujairah.
- 4 seats for the Emirate of Umm Al Quwain.
Main Candidates in this Election:
- The United Arab Emirates does not have political parties. All candidates for the Federal National Council run as independents.
Population and Registered Voters:
- Female Population: 3,004,000
- Is United Arab Emirates a signatory to CEDAW: N/A
- Has United Arab Emirates ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (6 October 2004)
- Gender Quota: No
- Female Candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of Female Legislators: 9 (22.5%)
- Human Development Index (HDI) Position: 34
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
- Is United Arab Emirates a signatory to CRPD: Yes (8 February 2008)
- Has United Arab Emirates ratified CRPD: Yes (19 March 2010)
- Population with a disability: 866,964