At Stake in this Election:
- 62 (of 70) seats in Mauritius’ National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale)
- Chief of State: President Barlen VYAPOORY (Acting since 23 Marhc 2018)
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Pravind JUGNAUTH (since 2017)
- Assembly: Mauritius has a unicameral National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) with 70 seats.
- The President is elected by the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) to serve a 5-year term.
- Prime Minister is appointed by the President, supporting a clear majority in the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale).
- In the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale), 62 members are elected by plurality vote in multi-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms and 8 members are appointed by the election commission to serve 5-year terms.*
* There are 21 districts with 3 seats in each district, and 1 district representing the island of Rodrigues with 2 seats. In all but the last district, electors are given 3 votes. To ensure ethnic diversity, the electoral commission awards seats to the unsuccessful candidates who received the highest number of votes.
Main Parties in this Election:
- Party: Militant Socialist Movement / Mouvement Socialiste Militant (MSM)
- Leader: Pravind JUGNAUTH
- Seats won in last election: 33
- Party: Labour Party / Parti Travailliste (PTR)
- Leader: Navin RAMGOOLAM
- Seats won in last election: 4
- Party: Mauritian Militant Movement / Mouvement Militant Mauricien (MMM)
- Leader: Paul BERENGER
- Seats won in last election: 12
- Party: Rodrigues People's Organisation / Organisation du Peuple Rodriguais (OPR)
- Seats won in last election: 2
Population and Registered Voters:
- Female Population: 643,000
- Is Mauritius a signatory to CEDAW: No
- Has Mauritius ratified CEDAW: Yes (9 July 1984)
- Gender Quota: No
- Female Candidates in this election:
- Number of Female Legislators: 8 (12%)
- Human Development Index (HDI) Position: 65
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
- Is Mauritius a signatory to CRPD: Yes (25 September 2007)
- Has Mauritius ratified CRPD: Yes (8 January 2010)
- Population with a disability: 200,974 (2019 est.)