At stake in this referendum:
- The creation of six additional regions in Ghana
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President John Dramani MAHAMA (since 24 July 2012)
- Head of Government: President John Dramani MAHAMA (since 24 July 2012)
- Assembly: Ghana has a unicameral Parliament composed of 275 seats with members serving 4-year terms.
- For this referendum to pass in a region, 50 percent of registered voters in a region must participate and 80 percent of participating voters in the region must vote in favor of the referendum.
About the referendum:
- This referendum would create six new territories in Ghana: the Western North, Ahafo, Bono East, Oti, North East, and Savannah.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 29,463,643 (2018 est.)
- Registered Voters: 15,712,499 (2016)
- Female Population: 14,775,076 (2018 est.)
- Is Ghana a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
- Has Ghana ratified CEDAW: Yes (2 January 1985)
- Gender Quota: No
- Female candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of Female Parliamentarians: 35 (12.7%)
- Human Development Index Position: 140 (2018)
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: High (2014)
- Is Ghana a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
- Has Ghana ratified CRPD: Yes (31 July 2012)
- Population with a disability: 3,949,147 (2018 est.)