At Stake in this Election:
- The office of President of Botswana.
- Chief of State: President Mokgweetsi MASISI (since April 1, 2018)
- Head of Government: President Mokgweetsi MASISI (since April 1, 2018)
- Assembly: Botswana has a unicameral Parliament consisting of the National Assembly with 63 seats.
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government.
- The President is elected by indirect vote to serve a 5-year term.*
- In the National Assembly, which has 63 seats, 57 members are directly elected by popular vote, 4 members are appointed by the majority party, and 2 members, the President and Attorney General, serve as ex-officio members to serve 5-year terms.
- In the House of Chiefs (Ntlo ya Dikgosi), an advisory 35-member body, 8 members are ex-officio members consisting of the chiefs of the principal tribes, and 27 non-permanent members, serve 5-year terms, of which 22 are indirectly elected. The 5 remaining members are appointed by the President.
* Generally, it is the person nominated by the party who has the majority in parliament.
Main Candidates in this Election:
- Candidate: Mokgweetsi MASIS
- Party: Botswana Democratic Party (BDP)
- Candidate: Duma BOKO
- Party: Umbrella for Democratic Change
- Candidate: Biggie BUTALE
- Party: Botswana Patriotic Front (BPF)
- Candidate: Ndaba GAOLATHE
- Party: Alliance for Progressives
Population and Registered Voters:
- Female Population: 1,190,000 (2019 est.)
- Is Botswana a signatory to CEDAW: N/A
- Has Botswana ratified CEDAW: Yes (13 Aug 1996)
- Gender Quota: No
- Female Candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of Female Legislators: 6 (9.5%)
- Human Development Index (HDI) Position: 101
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
- Is Botswana a signatory to CRPD: No
- Has Botswana ratified CRPD: No
- Population with a disability: 327,408 (2019 est.)