At Stake in this Election:
- The office of the President of the Slovak Republic
- Chief of State: President Andrej KISKA*
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Peter PELLEGRINI
- Assembly: Slovakia has a unicameral National Council (Národná rada) with 150 seats.
* President Andrej KISKA has announced he will not seek re-election.
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term. If no candidate wins a majority of votes from eligible voters in the first round, the top two candidates go to a second round.
- Candidates for the office of the president must be nominated by at least 15 members of the National Council (Národná rada) or through a petition of at least 15,000 voters. Presidents of the Slovak Republic are limited to two 5-year terms in office.
Main Candidates in the Election:
- Štefan HARABIN
- Maroš ŠEFČOVIČ
- Party: Independent*
- Marian KOTLEBA
- Party: People’s Party – Our Slovakia / Kotleba – Ľudová strana Naše Slovensko
- Zuzana ČAPUTOVÁ
- Party: Progressive Slovakia / Progresivne Slovensko
- Béla BUGÁR
- Party: Most-Hid / Most-Híd
- František MIKLOŠKO
- Party: Independent**
- Milan KRAJNIAK
- Party: We Are a Family / Sme Rodina
- Eduard CHMELAR
- Party: Independent
- Robert ŠVEC
- Party: Independent***
- Ivan ZUZULA
- Party: Slovak Conservative Party / Slovenská konzervatívna strana (SKS)
- Martin DAŇO
- Juraj ZÁBOJNÍK
- Bohumila TAUCHMANNOVÁ
* Maroš ŠEFČOVIČ’s candidacy is supported by Direction – Social Democracy / Smer – sociálna demokracia (Smer-SD).
** František MIKLOŠKO’s candidacy is supported by the Christian Democratic Movement / Kresťanskodemokratické hnutie (KDH).
*** Robert ŠVEC’s candidacy is supported by the Slovak Revival Movement (SHO).
Population and Registered Voters:
- Population: 5,450,421 (as of December 2018)
- Registered Voters: 4,429,033
- Female Population: 2,789,344 (as of December 2018)
- Is Slovakia a signatory to CEDAW: No
- Has Slovakia ratified CEDAW: Yes, succession (28 May 1993)
- Gender Quota: No (there are political parties that have voluntary gender quotas)
- Female candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of Female Parliamentarians: 30 (20%)
- Human Development Index Position: 38 (2018)
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low (2019)
- Is Slovakia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (26 September 2007)
- Has Slovakia ratified CRPD: Yes (26 May 2010)
- Population with a disability: 812,797 (est.)