Saint Helena: Legislative Council, 26 July 2017
At stake in this election:
- 12 seats in the Legislative Council
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Queen ELIZABETH II *
- Head of Government: Governor Lisa PHILLIPS
- Assembly: Saint Helena has a unicameral Legislative Council with 12 seats.
* The executive authority of St Helena is invested in Her Majesty and exercised on her behalf by the Governor.
Description of electoral system:
- The Queen is hereditary head of state.
- Governor is appointed by the monarch.
- In the Legislative Council, 12 members are elected by popular vote to serve 4-year terms and 3 members are designated ex officio to serve 4-year terms.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Independent(s): Independents*
- Leader: N/A
- Seats won in last election: 12
* There is no party system on St. Helena, but rather a Committee system in the Legislative Council. Upon the closure of nominations on July 2, 2013, 20 candidates have been nominated to compete in the election. A full list of the winners can be found here.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 4,000 ( 2008 St. Helena Population Census)
- Registered Voters: 2,309 (July 2013 )