Bermuda: House of Assembly, 12 July 2017
At stake in this election:
36 seats in the House of Assembly
Description of government structure:
Chief of State: Queen ELIZABETH II *
Head of Government: Premier Paula COX**
Assembly: Bermuda has a bicameral Parliament consisting of the Senate with 11 seats and the House of Assembly with 36 seats.
* The Queen is represented by Governor George FERGUSSON.
** Progressive Labour Party Leader David BURT was elected Premier in this election.
Description of electoral system:
The Queen is hereditary head of state.
Premier is appointed by the governor.
In the Senate 11 members are appointed to serve 5-year terms*. In the House of Assembly 36 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.
* Members of the Senate are appointed by the governor, the premier and members of the opposition parties.
Main parties in the electoral race:
Party: One Bermuda Alliance (OBA)*
Leader: Jeanne ATHERDEN
Party: Progressive Labour Party (PLP)
Leader: David BURT
* Party was formed in 2011 as a result of the merger of the United Bermuda Party and the Bermuda Democratic Alliance. In the 2007 elections, the United Bermuda Party had won 14 seats in Parliamentary elections.
Population and Voter Registration:
Population: 70,537 (2016)
Registered Voters: 46,669 (2017)
· Is Bermuda a signatory to CEDAW: N/A
· Has Bermuda ratified CEDAW: N/A
· Gender Quota: N/A
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 7
· Human Development Index Position: N/A
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Bermuda a signatory to CRPD: N/A
· Has Bermuda ratified CRPD: N/A
· Population with a disability: