At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Brazil
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Michel TEMER*
- Head of Government: President Michel TEMER
- Assembly: Brazil has a bicameral National Congress (Congresso Nacional) consisting of the Federal Senate (Senado Federal) with 81 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Câmara dos Deputados) with 513 seats.
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Federal Senate (Senado Federal) 81 members are elected by plurality vote in multi-member constituencies to serve 8-year terms.** In the Chamber of Deputies (Câmara dos Deputados) 513 members are elected through an open-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.***
** There are 27 multi-member (3 seats) constituencies corresponding to the country's 26 states and the Federal District. One-third of the senators (27 seats) are elected after a four-year period, and two-thirds (54 seats) are elected after the next four-year period. When two-thirds of the seats are to be renewed, each elector votes for two candidates. When one-third is to be renewed, each elector votes for one candidate.
*** There are 27 multi-member constituencies with district magnitude ranging from 8 to 70 seats, based on population.
Main candidates in the electoral race:*
- Candidate: Jair BOLSONARO
- Candidate: Ciro GOMES
- Fernando HADDAD
- Candidate: Maria Osmarina Marina SILVA Vaz de Lima
- Candidate: Geraldo ALCKMIN
- Candidate: João AMOÊDO
- Candidate: Álvaro DIAS
- Party: We Can / Podemos (PODE)
- Candidate: Cabo DACIOLO
- Party: Patriota (PATRI)
- Candidate: Henrique de Campos MEIRELLES
* There are 13 candidates in this election.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 210,867,954 (2018 est.)
- Registered Voters: 147,302,357 (2018)
- Female Population: 107,268,645 (2018 est.)
- Is Brazil a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (31 March 1981)
- Has Brazil ratified CEDAW: Yes (1 February 1984)
- Gender Quota: Yes (In the Chamber of Deputies)
- Female candidates in this election:
- Number of Female Parliamentarians: 55 (Chamber of Deputies); 12 (Federal Senate)
- Human Development Index Position: 79 (2016)
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
- Brazil a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
- Brazil ratified CRPD: Yes (1 August 2008)
- Population with a disability: 30,638,972 (2018 est.