At stake in this election:
- 29 seats in the House of Representatives
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Queen ELIZABETH II *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Said Wilbert MUSA
- Assembly: Belize has a bicameral National Assembly consisting of the Senate with 12 seats and the House of Representatives with 29 seats.
* Queen ELIZABETH II is represented by Governor General Sir Colville YOUNG, Sr.
Description of electoral system:
- The Queen is N/A N/A.
- In the Senate 12 members are appointed by the governor-general to serve 5-year terms. In the House of Representatives 29 members are elected by direct popular vote to serve 5-year terms.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: People's United Party (PUP)
- Leader: N/A
- Seats won in this House of Representatives election: 22
- Seats won in last House of Representatives election: 26
- Party: United Democratic Party (UDP)
- Leader: N/A
- Seats won in this House of Representatives election: 7
- Seats won in last House of Representatives election: 3
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 262,299 ( 2002 est.)
- Registered Voters: 126,261 ( 2003 )
· Female Population: 133,752 (2003)
· Is Belize a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (7 March 1990)
· Has Belize ratified CEDAW: Yes (16 May 1990)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 2 (following 2003 election)
· Human Development Index Position: 101 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Belize a signatory to CRPD: Yes (9 May 2011)
· Has Belize ratified CRPD: Yes (2 June 2011)
· Population with a disability: 39,344 (est.)