At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Mali
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Ibrahim Boubacar KEITA
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Soumeylou Boubeye MAIGA
- Assembly: Mali has a unicameral National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) with 147 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- Prime Minister is appointed by the President.
- In the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) 147 members are elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve 5-year terms.***
*** 147 members are elected through a majority party-list system in two rounds of voting to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Ibrahim Boubacar KEITA
- Party: Rally for Mali (RPM)
- Soumaïla CISSÉ
- Party: Union for the Republic and Democracy (URD)
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 17,885,245 (July 2017 est.)
- Registered Voters: 6,829,696 (July 2013)
- Female Population: 9,172,991 (2017)
- Is Mali a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (5 February 1985)
- Has Mali ratified CEDAW: Yes (10 September 1985)
- Gender Quota: No, but there are voluntary quotas for some political parties
- Female candidates in this election: No
- Number of Female Parliamentarians: 15 (following the 2007 elections)
- Human Development Index Position: 175 (2016)
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very High (2014)
- Is Mali a signatory to CRPD: Yes (15 May 2007)
- Mali ratified CRPD: Yes (7 April 2008)
- Population with a disability: 2,488,814 (est.)