Sierra Leone: President, 31 March 2018
At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Sierra Leone
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Ernest Bai KOROMA *
- Head of Government: President Ernest Bai KOROMA
- Assembly: Sierra Leone has a unicameral Parliament with 124 seats.
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government. Ernest Bai KOROMA was the president at the time of this election; the current president is Julius Maada BIO.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term. If no candidate receives more than 55% of the vote in the first round, a second round is held between the top two candidates.
- In the Parliament, 112 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms and 12 members are elected by indirect vote to serve 5-year terms.***
*** 12 seats are filled by paramount chiefs elected in separate elections.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Samura Matthew Wilson KAMARA
- Party: All People's Congress (APC)
- Julius Maada BIO
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 6,043,157 (2012)
- Registered Voters: 2,701,299 (2012)
· Female Population: 3,056,584 (2012)
· Is Sierra Leone a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (21 September 1988)
· Has Sierra Leone ratified CEDAW: Yes (11 November 1988)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 15 (following the 2012 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 181 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very High (2014)
· Is Sierra Leone a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Sierra Leone ratified CRPD: Yes (4 October 2010)
· Population with a disability: 906,473 (est.)