Somaliland: President, 13 November 2017
At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Somaliland
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Ahmed Mahamoud SILANYO
- Head of Government: President Ahmed Mahamoud SILANYO
- Assembly: Somaliland has a bicameral Parliament (Baarlamaanka) consisting of the House of Elders (Golaha Guurtida) with 82 seats and the House of Representatives (Golaha Wakiilada) with 82 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by plurality vote to serve a 4-year term.
- President is elected by plurality vote.
- In the House of Elders (Golaha Guurtida) 82 members are reserved for tribal leaders to serve 5-year terms. In the House of Representatives (Golaha Wakiilada) 82 members are elected by proportional representation to serve 5-year terms.**
** Members are elected in 6 multi-member constituencies.
Candidates in this presidential race:
- Muse Bihi ABDI
- Abdullah IRRO
- Party: For Justice and Development Party (UCID)
- Ali WARABE:
Muse Bihi Abdi the winner of the election with 55.1% against his opponents tallies of 40.7% for Abdullahi Irro and 4.7% for Ali Warabe.
Population and Registered Voters:
- Population: 3,850,000 (2009 est.)
- Registered Voters: 704198 (2017 est.)
· Female Population:
· Is Somaliland a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Somaliland ratified CEDAW: No
· Gender Quota:
· Female candidates in this election:
· Number of Female Parliamentarians:
· Human Development Index Position: 0
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very High (Somalia)
· Is Somaliland a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Somaliland ratified CRPD: No
· Population with a disability: