At stake in this Referendum:
- The referendum will ask voters to decide whether to accept or reject the Twenty Sixth Amendment to the constitution, which will allow Ireland to ratify the Treaty of Nice.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Mary MCALEESE
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Bertie AHERN
- Assembly: Ireland has a bicameral Parliament (Oireachtas) consisting of the Senate (Seanad Eireann) with 60 seats and the House of Representatives (Dail Eireann) with 166 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Referendum on amending the constitution to enable ratification of the Treaty of Nice
- A majority of overall votes cast are required for the 26th amendment to be instituted.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 3,931,347 (2002)
- Registered Voters: 3,002,173 (2002)
· Female Population: 1,972,661 (2002)
· Is Ireland a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Ireland ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (23 December 1985)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 22 (House of Representatives); 10 (Senate) (following the 2002 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 6 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Ireland a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Ireland ratified CRPD: No
· Population with a disability: 589,702 (est.)