Niue: Niue Assmbly, 6 May 2017
Election Results Note:
- Votes cast is an estimate based on total votes from a block vote. Total votes cast were 4,887; each voter may vote for up to 6 candidates in the block vote.
At stake in this election:
- 20 seats in the Assembly
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Queen ELIZABETH II (since 6 February 1952); represented by Governor General of New Zealand Dame Patsy REDDY (since 28 September 2016)
- Head of Government: Premier Toke TALAGI (since 18 June 2008)
- Assembly: Niue has a unicameral Niue Assembly (Niue Fono Ekepule) with 20 seats, 14 of which are elected by village constituencies and 6 nationally. The Assembly elects the Premier.
Description of electoral system:
- The Queen is hereditary head of state.
- Premier is elected by the Assembly to serve a 3-year term.
- In the Niue Assembly (Niue Fono Ekepule), 6 members are elected by block vote on a common role to serve 3-year terms and 14 members are elected by majority vote in single-member constituencies, representing the 14 villages of Niue, to serve 3-year terms.
- The last election was held 12 April 2014. Independents were elected to all 20 seats. The Assembly voted to reelect Premier Toke TALAGI in a vote of 12-8.
Main candidates in the election:
*There are no political parties in Niue.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 1,190 (July 2014)
- Registered Voters:
- Female Population:
- Is Niue a signatory to CEDAW: No
- Has Niue ratified CEDAW: Yes (10 January 1985)
- Gender Quota: None
- Female candidates in this election: unknown
- Number of Female Parliamentarians: 2
- Human Development Index Position: none
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: none
- Is Niue a signatory to CRPD: No
- Has Niue ratified CRPD: No
- Population with a disability: 178