Republic of Moldova: Presidential Election, 13 November 2016
At stake in this election:
- The office of the President of the Moldova
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Nicolae TIMOFTI (since 23 March 2012)
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Pavel FILIP (since 20 January 2016)
- Assembly: Moldova has a unicameral Parliament composed of 101 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The president of Moldova is directly elected, in two rounds if needed, for a 4-year term with eligibility for a second term.
- The first round of voting for the presidential election was held on 30 October 2016. In the first round, the candidates with earning the most votes were Igor DODON and Maia SANDU, who finished with 48.22% and 38.42%, respectively. As no candidate secured a majority of votes, a second round of voting between these two candidates will be held.
Main candidates in the election:
- Party: Socialist Party/Partidul Socialiștilor din Republica Moldova
- Party: Action and Solidarity Party/Partidul Acțiune și Solidaritate
Population and number of registered voters:
· Population: 3,546,847 (July 2015 est.)
· Registered Voters: 2,956,270 (2014)
· Female Population: 1,821,344 (July 2015 est.)
· Is Moldova a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Moldova ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (1 July 1994)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 21 (20.79%)
· Human Development Index Position: 107
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low
· Is Moldova a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Moldova ratified CRPD: Yes (21 September 2010)
· Population with a disability: 532,027 (est.)
 President TIMOFTI’s term of office ended on 23 March 2016, but he continues to act as president until a new president is elected and sworn into office.