Republic of Nauru: Parliament, 9 July 2016
At stake in this election:
- 19 seats in Parliament
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Baron WAQA (since 11 June 2013)
- Head of Government: President Baron WAQA (since 11 June 2013)
- Assembly: Nauru has a unicameral Parliament composed of 19 seats with members serving 3-year terms.
Description of electoral system:
- Members of Parliament are directly elected in multi-seat constituencies by majority vote.
- Elections were last held on 8 June 2013. There are political parties in Nauru, but personal politics are largely the dominant factor in elections. In the last election, 68 candidates ran for the 19 seats.
Main parties in this election:
- Nauru First Party
- Democratic Party of Nauru
- The Centre Party
Note: Political parties exist in Nauru, but candidates run as independents for elections.
Population and number of registered voters:
· Population: 9,540 (July 2015 est.)
· Registered Voters: 5,704 (2013)
· Female Population: 5,027 (July 2015 est.)
· Is Nauru a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Nauru ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (23 June 2011)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 1 (5.23%)
· Human Development Index Position: N/A
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Nauru a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Nauru ratified CRPD: Yes, accession (27 June 2012)
· Population with a disability: 1,431 (est.)