At stake in this Referendum:
- Popular vote (Federal level) on Right to Citizenship, Postal Service and Maternity Insurance
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Federal Councillor Joseph DEISS *
- Head of Government: Federal Councillor Joseph DEISS
- Assembly: Switzerland has a bicameral Federal Assembly (Bundesversammlung, Assemblée Féderale) consisting of the Council of States (Standerat, Conseil des Etats, or Consiglio degli Stati) with 46 seats* and the National Council (Nationalrat, Conseil National, or Consiglio Nazionale) with 200 seats.
* President of the Confederation and Head of the Federal Department of Economic Affairs
* The Council of States, consists of 46 members, two elected from each of 20 cantons and one from each of the six half-cantons, according to cantonal procedure.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Voters will be asked to voice their opinion on: procedures regarding the naturalization of immigrants. 1st provision: Easing procedures for citizenship for second-generation immigrants aged 14-24.
- Status of third-generation immigrants 2nd provision: Guarantee that third-generation immigrants are Swiss citizens at birth.
- Postal System 3rd provision: Enhancement of the current universal postal system in Switzerland, and to include the communes in decisions affecting the network of post offices.
- Benefits available to women on maternity leave
Population and Registered Voters:
- Population: 7,389,625 (2004)
- Registered Voters: 4,708,440 (2003)
· Female Population: 3,775,180 (2004)
· Is Switzerland a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (23 January 1987)
· Has Switzerland ratified CEDAW: Yes (27 March 1997)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 50 (National Council); 11 (Council of States) following the 2003 elections
· Human Development Index Position: 3 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Switzerland a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Switzerland ratified CRPD: Yes, accession (15 April 2014)
· Population with a disability: 1,108,443 (est.)