Rwanda: Referendum, 18 December 2015
At stake in this election:
- This referendum will determine if amendments to the constitution regarding the duration of presidential terms and term limits will be passed.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Paul KAGAME (since 22 April 2000)
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Anastase MUREKEZI (since 24 July 2014)
- Assembly: Rwanda has a bicameral Parliament consisting of the Senat (Senate) and Chambre des Deputes (Chamber of Deputies). The Senate is composed of 26 seats and the Chamber of Deputies is composed of 80 seats.
Main provisions in the referendum:
- This referendum will ask voters if they support the proposed amendments to the constitution changing presidential term limits and the duration of terms.
- "Do you accept the constitution of the Republic of Rwanda that was amended in 2015?"
- This referendum will pass if a simple majority vote in favor is reached.
Population and number of registered voters:
· Population: 12,661,733 (July 2015 est.)
· Registered Voters: 6,392,867 (2015)
· Female Population: 6,349,227 (July 2015 est.)
· Is Rwanda a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (1 May 1980)
· Has Rwanda ratified CEDAW: Yes (2 March 1981)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 61 (57.47%)
· Human Development Index Position: 163 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Rwanda a signatory to CRPD: N/A
· Has Rwanda ratified CRPD: Yes (15 December 2008)
· Population with a disability: 1,899,259