At stake in this election:
- 40 seats in the House of Assembly
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Queen ELIZABETH II *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Hubert Alexander INGRAHAM
- Assembly: Bahamas has a bicameral Parliament consisting of the Senate with 16 seats and the House of Assembly with 40 seats.
* The Queen is represented by Dame Ivy DUMONT.
Description of electoral system:
- The Queen is N/A N/A.
- In the Senate 16 members are appointed by the governor-general. In the House of Assembly 40 members are elected by direct popular vote.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Free National Movement (FNM)
- Leader: Orville A. Thompson TURNQUEST
- Seats won in this House of Assembly election: 7
- Seats won in last House of Assembly election: 35
- Party: Progressive Liberal Party (PLP)
- Leader: Perry Gladstone CHRISTIE
- Seats won in this House of Assembly election: 29
- Seats won in last House of Assembly election: 5
- Party: Other Parties
- Leader: N/A
- Seats won in this House of Assembly election: 4
- Seats won in last House of Assembly election: N/A
Last Parliamentary election:
- Parliamentary elections were last held March 14, 1997.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 309,170 (est.)
- Registered Voters: 144,758 (2002)
· Female Population: 158,652 (2002)
· Is Bahamas a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Bahamas ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (6 October 1993)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 8 (as of 2002 election)
· Human Development Index Position: 55 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Bahamas a signatory to CRPD: Yes (24 September 2013)
· Has Bahamas ratified CRPD: Yes (28 September 2015)
· Population with a disability: 46,375 (est.)