Haiti: President, 24 January 2016
At stake in this election:
- The office of the President of Haiti
Note on the results: The second round of elections was postponed on 22 December 2015. On 7 January 2016, President Michel MARTELLY announced that the second round of voting would be held on 24 January 2016.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Michel MARTELLY
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Evans PAUL
- Assembly: Haiti has a bicameral National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) consisting of the Senate with 30 seats and the Chamber of Deputies with 99 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Senate 30 members are elected by popular vote to serve 6-year terms*. In the Chamber of Deputies 99 members are elected by popular vote to serve 4-year terms.
* Normally, one-third of the Senate is elected every two years.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Candidate: Jovenel MOISE
- Party: Haitian Tèt Kale Party / Parti Haïtien Tèt Kale (PHTK)
- Candidate: Jude CÉLESTIN
- Party: Alternative League for Haitian Progress and Empowerment / Ligue Alternative pour le Progrès et L’Emancipation Haitienne (LAPEH)
Population and number of registered voters:
- Female Population: 5,055,009 (2015 est.)
- Is Haiti a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
- Has Haiti ratified CEDAW: Yes (20 July 1981)
- Gender Quota: Yes
- Female Candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of Female Legislators: 4 (4%) of 99 seats in the Chamber of Deputies
- Human Development Index (HDI) Position: 168
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium
- Is Haiti a signatory to CRPD: No
- Has Haiti ratified CRPD: Yes (23 July 2009)
- Population with a disability: 1,516,503 (2015 est.)