At stake in this election:
- The 300 seats in the Hellenic Parliament (Vouli ton Ellinon).
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Karolos PAPOULIAS (since 12 March 2005)
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Antonis SAMARAS (since 20 June 2012)
- Assembly: Greece has a unicameral Hellenic Parliament (Vouli ton Ellinon) with 300 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is indirectly elected by parliament to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the president.
- In the Parliament (Vouli ton Ellinon), 288 members are elected through an open-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms and 12 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.*
* There is a national threshold of 3 percent. The party or apparentement winning a plurality of votes automatically is awarded 40 seats, and the remaining seats are allocated proportionally among all parties clearing the threshold. The 288 regular seats are divided among 56 constituencies: 48 multi-member and 8 single-member. In single-member districts, elections are effectively by plurality. The 12 State Deputy seats are allocated proportionally from closed lists in a nationwide district. Voters cast ballots only for the regular seats.
On Sunday 25 Jauary 2015, Greece will hold the third round of a snap election for parliament. [ii] The election was called by Prime Minister Antonis SAMARAS afer his candidate for president was rejected three time by parliament (the elections were indirect).
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: New Democracy (ND) / Νέα Δημοκρατία, Néa Dimokratía (ΝΔ)
- Leader: Antonis SAMARAS
- Seats won in last election: 129
- Coalition: Syriza Unionist Social Front (SYRIZA) / Συνασπισμός Ριζοσπαστικής Αριστεράς, Synaspismós Rizospastikís Aristerás (ΣΥΡΙΖΑ , SYRIZA)
- Leader: Alexis TSIPRAS
- Seats won in last election: 71
- Party: Pan Hellenic Socialist Movement (PASOK) / Πανελλήνιο Σοσιαλιστικό Κίνημα (ΠΑΣΟΚ)
- Leader: Evangelos VENIZELOS
- Seats won in last election: 33
- Party: Communist Party of Greece / Κομμουνιστικό Κόμμα Ελλάδας, Kommounistikó Kómma Elládas (KKE)
- Leader: Dimitris KOUTSOUMPAS
- Seats won in last election: 12
- Party: Democratic Left / Δημοκρατική Αριστερά, Dimokratiki Aristera (DIMAR, ΔΗΜ.ΑΡ)
- Leader: Fotis KOUVELIS
- Seats won in last election: 17
- Party: Golden Dawn / Χρυσή Αυγή, Chrysi Avg (XA)
- Leader: Nikolaos MICHALOLIAKOS / Ilias KASIDIARIS
- Seats won in last election: 18
- Party: Independent Greeks / Ανεξάρτητοι Έλληνες, Anexartitoi Ellines (ANEL)
- Leader: Panos KAMMENOS
- Seats won in last election: 20
- The last election for parliament in Greece was held on 17 June 2012.[iii] The conservative New Democracy (ND won 129 seats, while the lefist Syriza won 71 seats.[iv] Results can be found here: http://www.electionguide.org/elections/id/1631/
Population and number of registered voters:
- Female Population: 5,509,973 (July 2014 est)[vii]
- Is Greece a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (2 March 1982).[viii]
- Has Greece ratified CEDAW: Yes (7 June 1983)[ix]
- Gender Quota: Yes. Legislated Candidate Quota: “one-third of political parties’ candidate lists, both for national and constituency lists, must be filled with candidates of each sex.”[x]
- Female Candidates in this election: N/A
- Number of Female Legislators: 63 (21%) of 300 seats in Greece’s Hellenic Parliament (Vouli ton Ellinon).[xi]
- Human Development Index (HDI) Position: 29.[xii]
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: None (latest categorizations are from 2014)[xiii]