At stake in this election:
- 91 seats in the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Faure GNASSINGBÉ
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Kwesi AHOOMEY-ZUNI
- Assembly: Togo has a unicameral National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) with 91 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by plurality vote to serve a 5-year term.
- Prime Minister is appointed by the President.
- In the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale), 91 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to 5-year terms.*
* There are 30 multi-member constituencies. The Grand Lome constituency elects 10 members, 3 constituencies elect 4 members each, 17 constituencies elect 3 members each, and 9 constituencies elect 2 members.
Main parties in the electoral race:*
- Party: Union for the Republic / Union pour la République (UNIR)
- Leader: Faure GNASSINGBÉ
- Party: Union of Forces of Change / Union des Forces de Changement (UFC)
- Leader: Gilchrist OLY MPIO
- Party: Patriotic Pan-African Convergence / Convergence Patriotique Panafricaine (CPP)
- Leader: Edem KODJO
- Party: Independents
* There are 12 parties in this election. The C14, a coalition of 14 parties led by Brigitte Kafui ADJAMAGBO-JOHNSON, is boycotting the election. The coalition includes the Alliance of Democrats for Integral Development / Alliance des Démocrates pour le Développement Intégral (ADDI), the National Alliance for Change / Alliance Nationale pour le Changement (ANC), the Action Committee for Renewal / Comité d’Action pour le Renouveau (CAR), the Democratic Convention of African Peoples / Convention Démocratique des Peuples Africains (CDPA), and the Citizen Movement for Democracy and Development / Mouvement Citoyen pour la Démocratie et le Développement (MCD).
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 7,990,926 (2018 est.)
- Registered Voters: 3,044,332 (2013)
- Female Population: 4,006,749 (2018 est.)
- Is Togo a signatory to CEDAW: No
- Has Togo ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (26 September 1983)
- Gender Quota: Yes
- Female candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of Female Parliamentarians: 16
- Human Development Index Position: 165 (2018)
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
- Is Togo a signatory to CRPD: Yes (23 September 2008)
- Has Togo ratified CRPD: Yes (1 March 2011)
- Population with a disability: 1,132,848 (2018 est.)