At stake in this election:
- 11 seats in the National Assembly
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Queen ELIZABETH II *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Dr. Denzil DOUGLAS
- Assembly: Saint Kitts and Nevis has a unicameral National Assembly with 14 seats.
* The Queen is represented by Governor General Edmund LAWRENCE
Description of electoral system:
- The Queen is hereditary N/A.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the Monarch.
- In the National Assembly, 3 members are nominated to serve 5-year terms and 11 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.***
*** Of the three nominated seats, two are nominated on the advice of the prime minister and one on the advice of the leader of the opposition.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Saint Kitts and Nevis Labour Party (SKNLP)
- Leader: Dr. Denzil DOUGLAS
- Seats won in last election: 6
- Party: Team Unity*
- Leader: Dr. Timothy HARRIS
- Seats won in last election: N/A
- Party: Nevis Reformation Party (NRP)
- Leader: Joseph PARRY
- Seats won in last election: 1
*This is an alliance between the Concerned Citizens' Movement (CCM) led by Vince AMORY, the People's Action Movement (PAM) led by Lindsay GRANT, and the newly formed People’s Labour Party (PLP), led by Dr. Timothy HARRIS. In the 2010 elections PAM and the CCM each won 2 seats in parliament.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 51,538 (July 2014 est.)
- Registered Voters: 36,000 (Est.)