Montenegro: Parliamentary Election, 16 October 2016
At stake in this election:
- 81 seats in the Skupstina (Assembly)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Filip VUJANOVIĆ (since 6 April 2008)
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Milo ĐJUKANOVIĆ (since 4 December 2012)
- Assembly: Montenegro has a unicameral Skupština (Assembly) composed of 81 seats with members serving 4-year terms.
Description of electoral system:
- Members of the Assembly are directly elected in a single nationwide constituency by proportional representation vote.
- Elections were last held on 14 October 2012. The coalition For a European Montenegro won 39 seats, the Democratic Front won 20, the Socialist People’s Party of Montenegro won 9, Positive Montenegro won 7, and the Bosniak Party won 3.
Main parties in the election:
- Democratic Party of Socialists (DPS)/Demokratska Partija Socijalista Crne Gore
- Leader: Milo ĐJUKANOVIĆ
- Seats won in last election: 30
- Democratic Front (DF)/Demokratski Front
- Leader: Collective Leadership
- Seats won in last election: 20
- Social Democrat Party (SDP)/Socijaldemokratska Partija Crne Gore
- Leader: Ranko KRIVOKAPIC
- Seats won in last election: 5
- Positive Montenegro/Pozitivna Crna Gora
- Leader: Darko PAJOVIĆ
- Seats won in last election: 7
- Bosniak Party (BS)/Bošnjačka Stranka
- Leader: Rafet HUSOVIĆ
- Seats won in last election: 3
- Party of Serbian Radicals/Stranka Srpskih Radikala
- Leader: Vojislav ŠEŠELJ
- Seats won in last election: 0
- Democratic Coalition
- Leader: Miodrag LEKIC
- Seats won in last election: N/A
- Coalition of Albanian Parties
- Seats won in last electin: N/A
Population and number of registered voters:
· Population: 647,073 (July 2015 est.)
· Registered Voters: 514,055 (2012)
· Female Population: 324,756 (July 2015 est.)
· Is Montenegro a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Montenegro ratified CEDAW: Yes, succession (23 October 2006)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 12 (14.81%)
· Human Development Index Position: 49
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Montenegro a signatory to CRPD: Yes (27 September 2007)
· Has Montenegro ratified CRPD: Yes (2 November 2009)
· Population with a disability: 97,060 (est.)
 For a European Montenegro in the last election was composed of the DPS, the SDP, and the Liberal Party. The SDP however, has left the coalition and is contesting the 2016 elections as a separate party.
 The Democratic Coalition was formed as a merger of the Civic Movement URA, DEMOS, and the Socialist People’s Party SNP.
 The three main Albanian parties in Montenegro, Forca, the Union of Albanians, and the Albanian Alternative Party, are contesting the election as a coalition. The leader of Forca is Nazif CUNGU, the leader of the Democratic Union of Albanians is Mehmed ZENKA, and the leader of the Albanian Alternative Party is Nik GJELOSHAJ.
 Montenegro has a gender quota that requires at least 30% of candidates of the less represented gender be included in the candidate lists.